Each year for the last six years now I have created a yearly post that depicts the free botms of the month at various blogs and websites. This is always one of the posts on my blog that receives the most traffic. I love providing this page as I am a bit of a collector myself and so for me, the post has become somewhat of a tradition at this point.
The idea here is the botm itself must be free. No book, magazine, pattern, video, or lesson purchases allowed. That’s the only rule about being featured on this post. I will create some notes over the images and when I update this post each time a date will appear for when this post was updated.
Clicking the images will take you directly to the hostess of the event’s main website or the exact page they posted the botm on.
As of January 13, 2021
I don’t always get all the details of an event, so if I have not mentioned something on this post or I made a mistake, please feel free to contact me.
- Piecing The Past requires newsletter signup.
- Barbara Dieges also posts the free EQ project files in EQ7 format (which you can open in later versions of EQ also. (such as EQ8).
- Winter Wonderland Mystery SAL is on Facebook Only
- Clever Chameleon – Lunacy started in 2020, but all blocks are still available to download. This should finish sometime in March I believe.
- Collections By Edith – Seashells by the Seashore started in 2020, past blocks available to purchase.
- Sentimental Stitches Polka Dot Garden BOTM – This botm started in 2020, but all blocks are still free as of January 13, 2020
- Angie Padilla – While not required, I strongly recommend signing up for her newsletter. It is really easy to miss a block otherwise.
- Once Upon A Time posts weekly. Blocks are free thru the course of the botm, then removed and put up for sale. The middle block can be purchased (this is the only one that is not free) but Erin offers tips all over her website on how you can change out the middle blocks for your own.
- Winter Wonder Mystery QAL is a Facebook group only event. It features many quilt shops over the course of the QAL. This is mainly a wool pattern qal, but the patterns can be made in cotton also. The event runs thru April 4, 2021.
I am very lucky, some of my sources have come from those of you kind enough to take a moment and contact me about upcoming events, while others I have gotten because I visited these sites in the past collecting their botm patterns also. My other main source tho is what I consider a huge asset on the web and that is my friend Susan’s Quilt Bom site. She posts about events of all kinds that are free on the web also with a few worthy purchase type events also. I also keep Susan’s site listed in my right side menu lists under the “Cool Stuff” section. Susan has been doing this longer than I have and she keeps us up to date far better than I do. It is worth your time to also watch and follow her blog.
I am an affiliate of the above companies when you click one of these links and purchase something, I earn a little bit of a commission with it. I use this money to help maintain my website and offer my free patterns to you. Every little bit helps, thank you so much for clicking and for your support. I don’t just offer up these brands to you I actually use their products and shop at these places. I would never partner with someone whose products I didn’t use.
Please remember it takes 2 minutes to comment, please say Thank You, whether you downloaded a free pattern, read a tutorial, or just learned something new. It takes time for people to write a post, take pictures, make a project or even write a pattern.
Let them know you appreciate it.
If your comment doesn’t show up after you post it, it’s most likely gone to the spam folder. I will see it and approve it, unfortunately, it just means something about your email address caught my spam filter’s eye.
Would you like to stay updated with my blog? I’m hoping this will be a bit faster than other services are. It’s like a newsletter, but not a newsletter. You’ll need to confirm your subscription and please let me know if I end up in your spam/junk folders.