I am so happy to see you all again. Today is my day for the Cya In September Blog Hop organized by Madam Samm at Sew We Quilt and cheerleader Shari, both of whom have done a wonderful job getting everything setup and ready for all of us to show our projects from over the summer. A huge thank you to you both, I love participating in these hops, they keep me motivated and active and I love being able to share with everyone what I’ve been up to. Note: I’ve been informed by my webhost today Monday the 15th of September, that they are migrating (transferring) the server I am on to a newer server which will mean I will need to change my DNS/IP number at my domain registrar. If you should experience not being able to access this site, it will be because the domain is switching ips to the new server. I will get those numbers updated the moment I notice the migration has taken place. Please come back in a few hours should you experience a problem. I didn’t start on any summer projects until late in the summer, about mid August to early September actually. My main machine was out of commission and off to the shop for just over six weeks this summer, so the only way I could sew was via my embroidery machine, which is always setup to do embroidery even tho it will also do normal sewing. Above you see two jar covers which I absolutely adore. I think jar covers are cool, but I only use them for decoration. In the case of these two, they are going to a neighbor who makes fresh salsa and shares some of it with us every so often. I think she will really enjoy these for her jars.
The jar cover patterns are from The Embroider Shoppe
These went together so easily, you can literally cut and sew each one in under ten minutes.
I didn’t cut my fabric on these according to the instruction, I like triangular shaping for my jar covers, so that I can vary the fabrics. In this case, I placed the gingham on the bottom, and a white on white fabric on top so that the embroidery would shine thru.
I used gingham strips that are torn on the edging for the bows. I like a frayed look on bows, so when I have to make a bow, it will almost always be frayed with the torn fabric.
All of the gingham used in my projects today are from Riley Blake.
Next up are what I’ll affectionately call my mood key rings. I call them that because now I have a key ring to suit my mood. The storage ring pattern is from GG Designs
While they were easy to create and sew each taking about 20 minutes, I did edit this pattern to meet my needs better. Each of these key rings closes with a zipper closure, the pattern has you stitching around the full zipper all at once. I don’t like doing this and I don’t like using tape to hold the zipper in place to do it like most patterns call for, so I took and added separate lines down each zipper side to stitch the folded edges down first, kind of like a “basting” type stitch, but a normal stitch. In the end, they are stitched over twice.
I also added to my pattern a quilting for the back of the ring. Her pattern back is not quilted, it’s not even stitched down to hold the fabrics and batting in place when your enclosing the storage case, so I quilted mine down to give the full quilted effect.
If I make this pattern again I’ve noted to make it slightly longer to fit a credit card as it’s just a little short of fitting a credit card into the pouch, but as you can see if would fit coins or money just fine.
These little mice are so fun to make, quick and easy to. In under 30 minutes you can have one of these made. I didn’t have the plastic pellets that the pattern calls for, so for now I’ve put some rice in a sandwich bag and placed it inside the mouse to weigh it down so it stands. The rest of it is filled with polyfil. The hardest part of creating this pattern is turning that mousetail inside out, but I even managed to do that without opening that point on the end. That rarely happens to me. 🙂
Miss Mouse is the only project that was stitched on my sewing machine once it returned home. All of the other projects are known as “in the hoop embroidery designs”. So yep, I stitched all the the projects with the exception of the mouse, in my embroidery hoop.
This next pattern is a fun pattern I intend to make many more of for Christmas this year, but in the smaller size. This pattern is from Moose B’Stitchin. This pattern and all the patterns I’ve ever bought from Moose B’Stitchin are exceptional to stitch out. The instructions are well done and easily understood. I do wish her images were larger, but other than that, I’ve never had any issue sewing out her patterns.
As you can see, my little mouse is hangin about, I really like how he turned out. 🙂
This is what Santa looks like laying down. I wanted you to see the full effect of the beard. The “Jumbo” Santa takes about 45 minutes to make.
Today’s other participating sites are:
Thank you sew much for stopping in today to have a look at my projects.