Have you ever felt naked? I don’t mean the kind of naked where you’ve just gotten out of the shower and are wrapping the towel around you… I mean.. something’s missing. I’m feeling desperate today, even lonely, sad, naked…
All because I’m waiting on a new sewing machine foot pedal for my Viking Designer 1. It’s the machine I sew on, piece and quilt my projects on. I have my Brother Ult machine, but I only use it for machine embroidery. I don’t like the way it sews and besides, I’ve always heard that if you start a project on one machine you should finish it or try to finish it on the same machine. I guess that’s based on the 1/4″ inch seam allowance quilters need to use.
It should be here in the next day or so, but it’s been almost two weeks now since I ordered it and each day that it doesn’t arrive I feel more and more naked. So, I leave you with that thought today. Keep a backup on hand. 🙂 Can you just imagine? Of course, I have extra light bulbs, I even have a second bobbin case, which I bought to use special threads in, I even buy what I call backup fabric, in case I don’t have enough, I buy a little extra to be sure I won’t run out should I goof up on cutting something out, and if I have leftovers, it’s always good for my favorite type of quilt which is scrap quilts, or even for applique parts.
The theme of this months Club EQ was Modern Quilts. Modern quilts are considered to be high in color contrast with big prints and solid colors. In some ways this is a challenge for me because I’m not someone who likes to use solid colors in quilts. In this quilt, I was trying to challenge myself to create a pieced border that flowed with the quilt design itself. I always love my quilts to have what I’ll call an interactive border. I think it looks cool to have the borders be different but still be part of the overall design versus adding “strips of fabric” to the outside part of the quilt area. To me, it helps the quilt flow better and the overall look seems to appear better. Not mind you that anything is wrong with strips of fabric borders, I’ve certainly used them for quilts I’ve made and to frame wallhangings, and other small quilted items. Continue reading
This months Club EQ quilt challenge was Landscape Quilts. Talk about a swirling of ideas. I could have created hundreds of quilts literally, the ideas were so heavily flowing in my mind. It was pretty much anything goes, pieced or appliqued. I finally settled on creating the Sealife quilt you see here. I would have probably done a second quilt, but this one pretty much took up all of my time for the month and I barely got this in on time. Why? Simply because everything in this quilt was drawn or traced by me.
This quilt features over 50 drawn objects. The mermaid alone took over a day to trace. There were objects drawn for this quilt that I couldn’t even fit into it, and at the same time, because I hope to redraw this quilt at some point hopefully featuring a bit more land so I can add some palm trees, or perhaps a lighthouse. I am hoping to create part of the borders with a sky.
The challenge this month was to create New York Beauties quilt designs.
This was a difficult challenge. In fact, i wasn’t even planning to participate because my lack of knowledge in regards to the challenge requirements wasn’t what I thought I could handle. Then, a small miracle happened. My dear friend Bea, added a tutorial to her site for her EQ Tuesday Tutorial series and I was saved. Because she posted the Layout Library tutorial, I was able to come up with a quilt for the challenge in May.
Well I’ve been a bad bad girl. It’s not that I haven’t thought about posting. I’ve just been very busy doing many things and playing with EQ and Bernina’s Designer Plus software trying to learn both. I have managed to do a few things in these few short months since I last posted and I will follow up with those posts here in a few moments.
I’ve also gained permission to post tips for the Viking machines from the site known previously as Sew Much For Retirement, originally created by Janice Hemming. I am currently working to get that area of the site up and running so people who loved her tips and tricks on using there Vikings can again enjoy those really helpful tips.
There may be a few problems on the site as I work thru having upgraded WordPress and while I will try to get them fixed, I will ask you if you would kindly let me know if you run across any errors, or bad links on the site. One can never know what will go wrong when you upgrade any type of script.
See ya soon,
For me, the last day of the contest has arrived and I have gone thru the list of comments and been to random.org to let them pick the winner.
We now have a winner for the Quiltmaker 6 Quilting Designs CD from Electric Quilt.
And the winner is…
Today I submitted my first Club EQ project and these are what I submitted for April 2013. I wanted to show you my boo boo on this project, submitted anyway, because it says on there page they will fix errors. LOL So I hope they will laugh when they see mine. It’s quite obvious, apparently somehow, somewhere along the way I ended up with this block like thing in my quilt, and for my lack of knowledge, I couldn’t figure out what I did, so I ended up with a block on the outside edge of my project. You can see it via the first image. No matter what I did, I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. I don’t even know what it is.