A HUGE thank you to Carla at Creatin’ In The Sticks for creating this fun blog hoop featuring the color yellow.
As a child my favorite color was yellow, when my parents moved into a new house when I was 12 or so, I got to pick my bedroom color and I chose a bright yellow. In fabric, finding good yellow in prints is very difficult imho. It’s always been one of those colors that just seem to be really hard to get, yet when you find a good one you want to stock up on the yardage so you can use it over and over. Finding yellow in batiks, totally different story, there are plenty of them and you get a nice range of the value also which is awesome. Because batiks are so popular, I own many yellow fabrics now that I just dearly love and I don’t hesitate to buy new ones either. Yellow is my favorite bright color.. not my favorite color, but when it comes to bright fabrics, it’s yellow. 🙂
This post is short today as I need to get it posted and I have had very little sleep since getting home so plan to sleep the day away after I catch up on email this morning.
Last month when I did the It’s Cool To Be Square bloghop hosted by Carol at Just Let Me Quilt I did some small baskets. Many of the comments wanted to see larger baskets so today I have larger baskets for you.
These baskets were made in my machine embroidery hoop, but 90% of the stitching is in the hoop and the other 10% is on your sewing machine.
Aurifil 50 wt thread was used for the piecing and the quilting of this project in the color yellow. All of the quilting is in the color yellow.
The pattern for these baskets is from Sweet Pea Designs.
These baskets are about 6 to 8-inches tall depending on the size chosen to stitch in the hoop. I did 6, 7, and 8-inch size baskets.
I used fleece instead of heavy interfacing that the directions asked for as I always have fleece on hand and rarely have heavy interfacing and because shipping is so slow with some companies I chose to just use fleece, and it worked fine. The baskets stand up very nicely and as you can see they hold heavy objects very well. I rolled up some fabrics for one basket, and the others have my starch and water bottles for pressing in them.
The baskets are lined and a cuff is added. The only thing I didn’t like about this design is that the seam under the cuff is exposed even tho you can’t see it because the cuff hides it, there are no directions for how to finish the seam, so I will note if you have a serger, use your serger to finish the seam or use a zigzag or serpentine stitch on your sewing machine. By finishing seams you give them a professional appearance, but at the same time they help prevent fraying. The seam is exposed because the lining is added with wrong sides together and the cuff at the same time. If a hole had been placed to stitch after turning it inside out, you could easily hide that seam so the seams don’t need finishing.
However, I looked at many sources before deciding to do a machine embroidery pattern this time and I did that simply to see how they were done in the hoop as I hadn’t made baskets this large before in my hoop.
Sources for your sewing machine are:
All the sites listed above give lists of other sites who offer free tutorials for these baskets and the process is basically the same as doing it in the hoop. When I make these baskets again I will do it by sewing machine because I believe it’s actually faster to use your sewing machine in this rare case versus the machine embroidery hoop. It took me all day to make these 3 baskets, but had I done them in my sewing machine I know I would have whipped them out in less than 1 to 2 hours. I would also use the open seam technique for turning the lining as I believe that’s a much more professional way to finish projects of this type.
Today’s Other Bloggers Are
Samelia’s Mum | Hill Valley Quilter
Seams To Be Sew | That Fabric Feeling | Creatin’ in the Sticks
The Joyful Quilter | For the love of geese
I am an affiliate of the above companies when you click one of these links and purchase something, I earn a little bit of a commission with it. I use this money to help maintain my website and offer my free patterns to you. Every little bit helps, thank you so much for clicking and for your support. I don’t just offer up these brands to you I actually use their products and shop at these places. I would never partner with someone whose products I didn’t use.
Please remember it takes 2 minutes to comment, please say Thank You, whether you downloaded a free pattern, read a tutorial, or just learned something new. It takes time for people to write a post, take pictures, make a project or even write a pattern.
Let them know you appreciate it.
If your comment doesn’t show up after you post it, it’s most likely gone to the spam folder. I will see it and approve it, unfortunately, it just means something about your email address caught my spam filter’s eye.